« Boston's Big Dig Firms Donate to Seattle Tunnel Proposal Fund | Main | A New, Blacker Darkness »

August 26, 2006

A Few Thoughts on Drunky-Driver McGavick

Mike! McGavick's cycnical attempt at outing himself as a drunk driver this week isn't going to work.  It's not some courageous clearing of the air.  It's a shameful admission of Mike!'s disregard for himself, his wife, the public at large and the law.

Driving drunk is incredibly dangerous -- both to oneself and others.  (If Mike! is filled with self-loathing, well I can't blame him -- with his track record I'd be pretty down on myself, too.  --Ed.)  But to put his wife -- and the public -- at risk suggests a profound lack of common sense and good judgement.  And since we're hiring Senators primarly for their ability to make good decisions, this seems like a pretty major disqualifier right off the bat.

Like many people, I drink sometimes.  Once in a while I even get... well, drunk.  But I'm a reasonably intelligent person with reasonably good judgement, and I've never had a problem not driving while I'm tipsy.  It's just not that hard to have designated driver, or to simply not drink -- if you actually respect yourself and others enough to care.

And that's Mike!'s real problem.  His actions suggest that he just doesn't respect himself, us or the law enough to exercise some self control.

I guess that's another thing he shares in common with George Bush.

Posted by Jon Stahl on August 26, 2006 at 08:48 AM in Best Practices | Permalink

Comments

this guy had one dui 13 years ago

supreme court justice bobbe bridges had one a year or so ago WHILE serving as a supreme court justice

i am sure you were equally as adamant in claiming she was not reponsible enough to serve on the highest court in WA state?

oh, of course. :l

Posted by: paulson | Aug 27, 2006 6:53:13 AM

oh, and Patrick Kennedy had a DUI recently.

again, not 13 years ago, but WHILE serving as a legislator.

Frankly, i don't think patrick kennedy should resign, or bobbe bridges, and i certainly don't think a DUI 13 yrs ago is some sort of heinous blight on mcgavick

but then again, i care about applying the same standards to people. do you?

should patrick kennedy and bobbe bridges quit because of their DUI's that happened WHILE they were serving?

Posted by: paulson | Aug 27, 2006 6:55:16 AM

Actually, I do think that Bobbie Bridges ought to have resigned. Judges shouldn't be breaking the law. Period. I didn't speak out on it because, unlike conservatives, I don't think we should be slagging nonpartisan judges here on an avowedly political blog.

Sitting legislators, including Patrick Kennedy, shouldn't be driving drunk either. But of course, he's not in Washington State, so I don't follow him.

But inconsisent on this topic I am not.

Posted by: Jon Stahl | Aug 27, 2006 10:09:36 AM

ok, well at least that is consistent. i don't agree with it. but it IS consistent

i don't see what slagging nonpartisan judges has to do with it. whether she was partisan or not, she should not have driven drunk is my point. and liberals and conservatives slag judges. it isn't just conservatives. i've heard liberals refer to justice thomas as an "uncle tom" (and worse), and scalia gets no love either.

none of them needed to resign (or not run in the case of mcgavick) imo.

i do think it's less serious for somebody to have committed DUI 13 yrs ago, and running for office NOW vs. getting a DUI while in office.

it's kind of the difference between clinton smoking mj many years ago (who cares) vs. if he did it in office. not that i think mj should be illegal anyways but i digress.

also, as far as the law is concerned, dui is not considered a crime of "moral turpitude" (not my term- that's the legal term) or dishonesty, which has relevance imo to the whole thang.

Posted by: paulson | Aug 27, 2006 10:43:56 AM