« The Year of the Women, Part 2 | Main | Olbermann on Bush - It is Unacceptable to Think? »

September 18, 2006

NO on 933 Hits the Air - Hard!

My friends over at the NO on 933 campaign hit their airwaves with their first television ad of the campaign, and I have to say, it is absolutely fantastic.

933ad2

In the ad, La Conner vegetable farmer Dave Hedlin gives a heartfelt testimony about why so many farmers are opposed to Initiative 933. Farming is a way of life, and I-933 threatens that way of life by making it impossible to protect prime farmland from development.

The ad closes with a powerful image that has a great story behind it --- the message "NO 933" carved into the wheat field of fifth generation Palouse wheat grower Aaron Flansburg.

933ad1

"Even in Palouse I'm concerned about irresponsible developments popping up on prime farmland. I want land to stay in production so I can keep farming like the generations before me," said Flansburg.

You can read more about the process of creating the largest billboard of the 2006 election season on the NO on 933 website.

Posted by Jon Stahl on September 18, 2006 at 08:41 PM in Ballot Initiatives | Permalink

Comments

been trying to track down something on the origins and finance for the pro 993, this WaSt Farm Buereau - can't find anything and my emails to them bounce.
Anybody on that, the money to get it on the ballot and for the suport?

Posted by: david edwards | Sep 23, 2006 8:15:00 PM

been trying to track down something on the origins and finance for the pro 933, this WaSt Farm Buereau - can't find anything and my emails to them bounce.
Anybody on that, the money to get it on the ballot and for the suport?

Posted by: david edwards | Sep 23, 2006 8:20:24 PM

Ask me, I am a farmer, If I 933 does not pass my 750 acre will not be econmical to farm and be split into 20 acre rural residential waste lots. I 933 is simply fairness, if you want 300 foot buffers on my streams make Bill Gates move his house back 300 feet from lake Washington.
As to who funded I-933, grassroots small donation and a lot of on the ground work by those of us who want to keep farming.
Robert Thode

Posted by: Robert Thode | Sep 26, 2006 7:57:38 PM

Not buyin it Robert. Talk with farmewrs and ranchers everyday and haven't encountered one who has looked into it and thinks this i-933 is a good idea.
Know a bit bout makin it as an indie ag guy and enviro regs and zonin ords are mostly bout suporting good husbandry and neighborlyness and payin somebody to do what is ultimately in their own best intrest don't make much sense
Still lookin into it but seems this measure would not be up if it were not for folks more interested in idealogical victorys than the the realitys of farming and have no problem takin advantage of people, possibily such as yerself

Posted by: david edwards | Sep 27, 2006 10:39:24 AM

Come on people...curious that the farmer in Palouse had a helicopter volunteering to film the effort.

Right or wrong, this initiative is a direct result of the subtle, but communistic land takings being done by cities and counties all over this state. They do it through the growth management act.

Maybe it doesn't seem like outright takings, but when they restrict your use of land (that you had before you purchased it) they may as well have taken it. If you do not have the right to use, dispose of, etc - it's not ownership.

The US Constitution and state constitution attempts to protect these rights, but they are constantly being eroded through the growth management act.

When the rural residents of King county attempted to put the contraversial CAO to a vote, King county & Futurewise sued & told them they cannot put the issue to a vote of the people it affected - how democratic is that?

It seems King Sims is the only human possible to veto decisions made by the King county council...because he had the power to veto the regulation but the tax-payers affected by the regulation can't vote on it.

Posted by: StolenLand | Sep 28, 2006 7:23:39 PM