« Yes on 933 is Lying to Rural Property Rights Activists about Eminent Domain | Main | Torture Thing Getting Me Down »

September 27, 2006

Seattle Audubon Society Has Some Great Visuals on the Impact of Initiative 933

The Seattle Audubon Society is working to stop 933 because rampant development that the initiative would cause would remove habitat for many bird species that Washingtonians know and love. They've put together some of the best visuals of the campaign that I've seen:

This is the house your neighbor can build under current zoning in residential areas:

This is what your neighbor can build beside the house you just invested your life savings in:

I am voting no on 933 to save the value of my property - and preserve predictability and consistency in the Washington state real estate market.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Posted by Jeff on September 27, 2006 at 11:54 PM in Ballot Initiatives | Permalink

Comments

Let's see here , GMU provides open space so your properties values are protected , by taking away my property values . If it will cost billions to compensate land holders maybe it could come from the real estate killing you are making by raising your values while decreasing mine .
It isn't just "greedy" corporations as opponents imply . It is a lot of mom & pop operations that have invested in land , with the proper zoning and now the 1996 GMU covenant is being abused by the greatest municipal landgrab since this State was stolen from the First Nations .
The continued "takings " by local entities is nothing more than theft and we want to be compensated . But why buy what you can so readily steal , eh ??

Posted by: spitintheocean | Sep 28, 2006 4:57:12 AM

Sorry - this isn't coherent enough for me to follow ... could you please restate it?

933 is a giveaway for developers and lawyers at the expense of the commons that we all share. Have you read the initiative?

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 28, 2006 9:03:55 AM

Well , my property is in a municipality , a tree ordinance in 2002 took nearly 2 acres , reallocated from R-2 residential to forestland , the ordinance only affects inholders over 1 acre . When I bought the land in 2000 there was no such regulation . Hence my setaside raises the ascetic and property value of your property and has effectively condemned 2 acres of my land . We even have to pay the increased valuation . If these ascetics have value and they increase yours , why wouldn't you feel liable for the takings of my property rights as it benefits yours ?

Posted by: spitintheocean | Sep 28, 2006 10:43:01 AM

Thanks - I appreciate more detail. It sounds like you're very unhappy with the ordinances. I've heard a few complaints like this and I empathize. I'd encourage you to stay involved in the political process and work to change what you don't like.

The problem is that 933 isn't a solution to your problem - it would just create more problems - allowing your neighbors to sell out to developers to build condos or factories or strip malls right beside your property. Wouldn't that be a worse outcome for you?

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 28, 2006 12:12:53 PM

Then we'll let the legislature or the Temple of Justice sort it out ( i wonder how our State Supremes would react to such an appeal ? ) , The problem is there will undoubtably be more takings in the future and towns are getting a free pass , it's a regular land rush !. As you know there is money in cities developing and building buildings , the taxes and all . The city or the developer need to be held liable for the takings if it benefits their ascetics to "liberate" other peoples investments .
No different if your town or mine needed cash and decided to provide a 40% buffer on your bank account . This type of takings is what makes the middle class flee third world countries . My goal is very close to yours , I'm just tired of my account being dipped into and I want it to stop . I-933 will stop the continued land takings by municipalities , you can bet on it .

Posted by: spitintheocean | Sep 28, 2006 12:31:27 PM

You seem to see the government as separate from yourself. We are the government. We are the citizens and the taxpayers and we have to breathe the air and drink the water that gets polluted by big corporations building factories and mines around our watersheds.

933 creates a pay or waive system where taxpayers have to pay off every landowner that wants to sell out to a developer just to prevent overbuilding. 933 allocates no funding for this - so cuts to vital services such as fire departments, public schools, police are likely.

933 is bad for all of us. Don't pass this off to your "Temple of Justice" - you have an opportunity to vote no now and protect our beautiful state from runaway development.

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 28, 2006 12:40:52 PM

By the way, this is what a real property right's movement looks like

Watch the video!

Posted by: jeff | Sep 28, 2006 12:42:41 PM

Sigh. I was just up in your area from San Diego California, and it was a breath of fresh air to see all the beautiful Washington landscapes. Even in the city, it was still gorgeous.

Please, don't go and ruin it. Protect what you have. We honestly don't all need to live in the ticky-tacky suburbs with no trees around.

Posted by: donna | Sep 30, 2006 10:20:18 AM