« John Edwards Chose Seattle | Main | John Edwards - At Home with Labor »

May 02, 2007

Comey Contradicts Gonzales on McKay

Former Deputy Attorney General James Comey -- incidentally, the man who named Patrick Fitzgerald to go after Scooter Libby for the Plame outing -- gave an interview Tuesday in which he directly contradicts the Justice Department's fabrications and says that John McKay was a good prosecutor who never exhibited any inkling of authority issues:

Comey, who became McKay's boss in late 2003, expressed puzzlement at Justice Department talking points released in recent weeks that suggest that McKay was fired, in part, for insubordination.

"It's inconsistent with my experience with John," Comey said. "John was a person of passion and energy and could wear his heart on his sleeve. But I never had any issues with him being insubordinate."

Comey also picked McKay to chair the pilot program for the LinX information-sharing system that many thought was so necessary post 9-11. After Comey left the DOJ, he was replaced by Paul McNulty, who originally praised the LinX program and McKay's leadership of it. But down the road apiece, McNulty and the department were unresponsive, and even hostile, to McKay's lobbying for more funds to expand the program (already deemed a success). Interestingly, exactly two weeks after McKay was fired, McNulty sent around a memo, lauding the program and confirming its expansion, based directly on the pilot programs in both Seattle and San Diego. In other words, he was, finally, doing precisely what McKay had been requesting him to do all along. And in the ensuing months, the DOJ has been sliming McKay for that request, flagging the situation as Exhibit A in the case for insubordination. Talk about a bunch of lying, scheming backstabbers.

Comey testifies before the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday.

Posted by shoephone on May 2, 2007 at 01:39 AM in National and International Politics | Permalink

Comments

Shoe,

Thanks for staying on this. I think that Comey's testimony tomorrow will blow this thing wide open. A sane person in the midst of the encroaching madness. Here's a link to Comey's farewell address that I think folks might enjoy:

Posted by: Lynn | May 2, 2007 8:45:48 AM

This whole LinX deal has me scratching my head. My theory is that McNulty was genuinely ticked off at the manner in which McKay was pushing it, as evidenced by his pissy contemporaneous reply to the 17 signatories back in August 2006. Then when McKay was fired for other reasons (i.e. not prosecuting like a good little Republican should), and the DoJ needed to cover its fanny, they just seized on that incident as a pretext for which they had documentation of McNulty's displeasure with McKay.

Posted by: op99 | May 2, 2007 9:38:29 AM

I concur with that analysis, OP. But how stupid can you get, playing politics with something as critical as the first and best attempt to meet one of the key recommendations of the 9/11 Commission.

Posted by: Lynn | May 2, 2007 11:33:07 AM

Did you see this Shoe?

A Karl Rove staffer was moved into the slot Rick White was leaving. I have no idea if that has any meaning in context, but just thought I'd share.

Posted by: Mary | May 2, 2007 7:11:36 PM

Thanks Mary and Lynn. I read Pete's post, and I think it's all very interesting. And I've always agreed that Rove was involved in McKay's firing. My only question is how involved Reichert was, and at what point in the process. He and McKay are known to be good friends.

I still think that Glynda Becker, Rove's aide (and before that, White's congressional aide) has information. She hasn't been on the Justice Committee's radar, and I think she deserves a subpoena. She was the one fielding complaints about McKay from the WA State GOPers.

There's a lot more to come.

Posted by: shoephone | May 3, 2007 1:04:52 AM

Here's an enlightening video from the Comey hearing today. It shows Cannon (R-Utah) intentionally wasting time. Sure, this is commonplace during hearings, but he sort of brings it to a new level.

Posted by: Matt | May 3, 2007 5:36:41 PM

Comment for Lynn on the 9-11 Commission Report: the information sharing discussed in the report is intelligence information on terrorism and nothing more.

Posted by: Anon | Jun 23, 2007 4:50:40 PM