« McCain Tottering; Guiliani Next? | Main | Update on the Pervert Psychologist »

July 13, 2007

Disgusted With Democrats? Join the Club

As usual, the inimitable Dibgy nails the damn thing on its head. Her latest piece excoriates Democrats -- and rightly so -- for being the spineless, clueless Melvins they are in the midst of a Republican minority actually operating like a majority and therefore, still running the country. It won't make you feel any better about Dems fulfilling tiresome, empty promises to "take our country back blah blah blah..." but sometimes you've got to heed the message and not kill the messenger.

Right now, for example, we have the Republicans filibustering everything in sight and calling the Democrats a do-nothing congress. We have the president spending twelve billion dollars a month on a war the country hates and saying the Democrats are overspending. And oversight is being met with incoherence that better resembles a three stooges routine than cooperation. They are not behaving as normal politicians behave, they are behaving like reckless, emotionally deranged teen-agers daring someone to stop them. And like the nice, nurturing parents they are, the Democrats try to be reasonable and "talk" while the miscreant kids steal the money out of their wallet and take the family car --- screaming "suckers" as they peel out of the driveway.

<snip>

I know that many of you feel that impeachment is the only answer and I'm not going to say you're wrong. What else can you do with an administration that is totally unresponsive to public opinion and the congress? They are not leaving the Dems much choice -- indeed, I almost think they pray for it, as a means to get their base enthused and test their Three Stooges theory of extreme politics on impeachment.

But, short of that, there are some other things that should be done immediately. First of all, Harry Reid has to make these filibustering jerks do a real damned filibuster or STFU. As Mimikatz at The Next Hurrah writes here, there is no requirement that the Democrats observe this polite procedural nicety of calling for cloture and then pretending that the filibuster happened. If the Republicans want to filibuster everything that comes through this senate they need to put up. Hell, Pete Domenici is already wearing his pajamas, all they need to do is roll in some cots and have a slumber party.

If only someone in the Democratic party was listening. I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by shoephone on July 13, 2007 at 08:36 AM in National and International Politics | Permalink

Comments

Unlike Digby, who admits that she "doesn't pretend to have the answers," Shoephone proudly pretends to have the answers. "The Democrats" are spineless, clueless Melvins.

I'm so relieved that things are now made clear.

Posted by: ivan | Jul 13, 2007 9:01:49 AM

Typical whining from you, Ivan. You can't accept an ounce of criticism of your *perfect* Democratic party. Well, too bad. The Democrats in Congress are acting like wimps and THEY ARE allowing the Republicans to run the show. That's pathetic, in my view. But with die-hards like you cheering them on to simply continue doing what they're doing, they will never change and we will forever be stuck with them and their clueless ways.

I didn't say I had the answers, you did. But at least I'm awake enough to be able to see the writing on the wall.

Posted by: shoephone | Jul 13, 2007 9:09:31 AM

*I'M* whining? I'm cheering them on?

Posted by: ivan | Jul 13, 2007 10:28:17 AM

I agree with Mimikatz - if the Republicans are going to obstruct the Senate then make them work at it. This is ridiculous, every time they defeat cloture Reid and the Democrats who support him say "OK, let's go home, then". If there's anything that the 109th Congress proved, it's that the Republicans are allergic to real work. Make them suffer. Make them pay, and hang the blame for the nation's problems around their necks, which is where it belongs.

And, yes, Ivan, you're whining. Shoephone's not claiming to have the answer, but part of it is to make sure the Republicans are clearly seen as the folks who are obstructing things. Remember when Tom Daschle was the obstructionist? He made a few principled stands here and there and the Republicans tagged him with that label. It's well past time that McConnell wore it, because he's been considerably worse.

Posted by: Cujo359 | Jul 13, 2007 11:46:31 AM

I'm sure glad there are people out there like Cujo and Shoephone who can read my mind and who know what I think and what I stand for, and can draw definitive conclusions about it.

Posted by: ivan | Jul 13, 2007 2:02:28 PM

IMHO, the noises off about "spineless Democrats" are not just whining ... they're boring whining. ENOUGH.

Posted by: RonK, Seattle | Jul 13, 2007 3:02:52 PM

Anybody who thinks I'm going to be shut up and go home instead of holding my own party accountable for their fecklessness has not been paying attention. My financial contributions helped to get some of those congressman and senators elected and they can pony up on the responsiblity AFAIK.

Welcome to the new world, where consitutents actually demand acountability from their elected representatives.

Posted by: shoephone | Jul 13, 2007 7:30:44 PM

And Ivan, I hardly need to read your mind since you're so famous for going on the blogs and antagonizing anyone and everyone who refuses to toe the party line.

Posted by: shoephone | Jul 13, 2007 7:32:51 PM

Since the Dems are not going to get any help from the media in framing the reality of what is happening in Congress, it is vital that they wake up and start kicking ass and taking names - and being ever-present and in the faces of anyone with a camera, a microphone or a tape-recorder. They need to be fanning out to TV, radio and editorial boards - just like the GOP always does when it wants to make a point. And the people who need to be on the front lines are not the people the media consider spokespeople for the Democratic party, but those who do not have a problem with mealy-mouth and suck-up. We need to hear from people like Feingold and Whitehouse and Wasserman Schultz and Artur Davis and those who have been stand-outs in hearings as people who know the score.

I would highly recommend that you catch Bill Moyers' Journal tonight on PBS, or online - Moyers spends a good 50 minutes discussing impeachment with Bruce Fein and John Nichols, and it is so good you will find youself not wanting to blink or make a sound for fear of missing something - it is that good. It ought to be required viewing for every member of Congress.

Posted by: Anne | Jul 13, 2007 8:31:17 PM

*I* antagonize anybody who refuses to toe the party line? Get a clue, lady. I don't know what the party line is, or who is to decide. So quit pretending that you know what I think about anything.

Posted by: ivan | Jul 13, 2007 9:58:38 PM

How illuminating that only Cujo and Anne were capable of addressing the subject of Digby's post.

Posted by: shoephone | Jul 13, 2007 11:32:40 PM

Lat night, at the 36th Dist Dems, I spoke against praising Jim McD for jumping on board the impeachment wagon.

finally.

we're rewarding people for doing what they should have done years ago.

I think I lost 49 to 1.

chicken constituents = chicken reps.

Does anyone hear recall RayGun's mandate back in 1980 ... ya know, to get the government off the backs of the people,

by cutting social programs AND rich taxes by raising the deficiet AND enriching pentagon contractors?

I remember, I was 21 in 81 making 4 bucks an hour, when my pell grants were cut by that fascist,

WITH A DEM HOUSE OF REPS.

Jim told the 36th Dems 6 months ago that we couldn't impeach ...

for some bunch of chickenshit reasons that weren't much different than the roll over for RayGun crap I heard in 1981.

Guess What Nancy the Chicken & Jim?

the rats been lying about everything and anything since ... the 40 hour work week 90 years ago ...

I think both of you should resign and go run nursery schools

you sure as hell can't run an opposition.

rmm.

Posted by: seabos84 | Jul 14, 2007 1:30:42 AM

I've always believed that good behavior by our reps should be rewarded, at least once in a while, seabos84. Of course, sometimes that can seem like a form of sarcasm, as it might have in the case of McDermott on impeachment.

I think, though, that this just points out why we have to keep after these folks. They're affected by the DC groupthink far more than they ought to be. If you and others hadn't kept after McDermott, reminding him of where his duty lay, he might never have come around. They need to be reminded that there are people out here who suffer when they screw up. They also need to be reminded about why we send them there in the first place, which is to run our country for us, with emphasis on "our country".

So, to answer ivan and whoever else thinks the way he does, I'm going to continue to poke these people in the conscience until they stand up and do the job we sent them there to do. We have a war going on that we started for no good reason that is growing worse by the day, and a President who's out of control. Until Congress does its job, it's going to continue to read my complaints about it, along with a whole lot of other peoples'. If you don't like that, tough.

Posted by: Cujo359 | Jul 14, 2007 12:31:13 PM

Ivan, perhaps if you said why you think Shoephone's assessment of "the Democrats" is wrong, and what your alternative view is, that would lead to a more fruitful discussion than just calling her a know-it-all.

Posted by: op99 | Jul 14, 2007 3:18:24 PM

Yeah, it's the Democrats' fault that they don't have a filibuster-proof majority; it's the Democrats' fault that they don't have a veto-proof majority; it's the Democrats' fault that the Bushies are going to keep our troops in Iraq regardless of whether funding is continued or not.

Yeah. It's all the Democrats' fault. Oddly, that's what the Republicans are saying too. Who would have thought the far left would be so in tune with the GOP? Go figure.

Of course, many of those currently blaming the Democrats also whined there was "no difference" between Bush and Gore. Yeeeaaaahhhh...

Posted by: Chantel | Jul 18, 2007 12:42:36 PM

Chantel - I never was one of those who said there was no difference between Gore and Bush. You must be thinking of the Nader supporters, and I'm not one of them. However, Digby and Mimikatz (and I) never blamed Democrats for the slim majority they hold. Some of us helped elect that majority by contributing our hard-earned dollars to those candidates who now serve in the Senate. Don't know about you, but I contributed about $1,000 overall, to six different candidates in last year's election, so yeah, I guess you could say I have a vested interest in seeing my democracy at work.

We have been fed up with Dems not using their parliamentary perogatives and instead letting the Republican minority walk all over them. In case you hadn't noticed, the GOP didn't have a filibuster-proof majority in the last Congress. But they threatened to use the "nuclear option" and bust the place apart if the Dem minority even squeaked about filibusters. The GOP knew how to play hard ball. The Dems... not so much.

Maybe you're not aware that until yesterday, Harry Reid had not challenged them on THEIR threats to filibuster.

The reason that he finally took action is because We the People flooded Senate offices with phone calls, emails and faxes and let them know that we didn't elect that majority just to see them dodge the courage to hold Repubs responsible for their obstruction. So good for Harry, good for the Senate Dems and good for us. Last night's filibuster challenge was well worth staying up for and I think our side gained much more than we lost.

But hey, if you'd prefer that those of us trying to strengthen the party and end the war just turn over, go to sleep and accept the mediocrity --- well, you can fahgeddaboudit.

Posted by: shoephone | Jul 18, 2007 9:06:48 PM