« YearlyKos Coverage - Democrats Work | Main | The Trouble with Moral Clarity »

August 20, 2007

Bush to America's Children: "Go to Hell"

There really isn't any other way to spin this sordid piece of corporate trash by the Bush administration:

The Bush administration, continuing its fight to stop states from expanding the Children's Health Insurance Program, has adopted new standards that would make it much more difficult for New York, California and others to extend  coverage to children in middle-income families.

Administration officials outlined the new standards in a letter sent to state health officials on Friday evening, in the middle of a monthlong Congressional recess. In interviews they said the changes were intended to return the Children's Health Insurance Program to its original focus on low-income children and to make sure the program did not become a substitute for private health coverage.

After learning of the new policy, some state officials said yesterday that it could cripple their efforts to cover more children and impose new standards that could not be met.

"We are horrified at the new federal policy", said Ann Clemency Kohler, deputy commissioner of human services in New Jersey. "It will cause havoc with our program and could jeopardize coverage for thousands of children."

Over the last six and a half years, the Bush administration has shown an utter disregard for U.S. soldiers and their families, military veterans, seniors on Medicare, individuals faced with bankruptcy, victims and survivors of Hurricane Katrina, and now... our nation's children. Clearly, Bush and his fat cat cronies in the insurance racket don't give two shakes what their policies have done to working families already struggling to put paychecks toward health care costs. "Compassionate conservativism" my ass. More like aiding and abetting. These pigs don't even have the courage to foist their amoral policies on America's citizens in the light of day, instead sneaking their snouts in through the back door and fouling up the place on a Friday night in the middle of a monthlong Congressional recess.

Cowards.

November 2008 can't come soon enough.

Posted by shoephone on August 20, 2007 at 11:49 PM in National and International Politics | Permalink

Comments

My wife and I have both been teaching in Georgia for 20 years. Our combined income is right at $100k which puts us among the “greedy rich conservatives” you progressives are always talking about.

Over the last two decades we have gone without new cars, satellite/cable TV, “free” lunches for our kids at school (it costs next to nothing for a peanut butter sandwich, chips and apple), new computers, nice furniture, etc. But now that we are “rich” we are expected to pay for someone else’s kids insurance in New Jersey making more than we did a few years ago so that they can use their money to pay for a new car, satellite/cable TV, new computers, etc.

The SCHIP program was intended for children living in households at or below 200% of the national poverty level. Bush wants to hold it 250%. If he wasn’t such a pansy he would veto anything that takes it beyond the original 200%.

Any child that goes without healthcare in this country does so because they are victims of abuse by their worthless parents. There are already enough state and federal programs to cover all the kids who have parents too stupid and lazy to either get a job with coverage or get a job that allows them to buy their own.

It will never be enough for you leftist whackos. Not until everyone is impoverished will your work be done.

Maximus

Posted by: Maximus | Aug 21, 2007 5:00:48 AM

Please, identify these miscreants in New Jersey using your tax dollars for new cars, satellite/cable TV, new computers and etceteras! Do you have their names? How come you by this knowledge?

I'm thrilled to hear that you're a teacher - I'm sure you keep your opinions out of the classroom, since we wouldn't want to politicize our children's education.

Sorry, Maximus, but your problem isn't that liberals are trying to give folks a chance to get through life but that you live in a fantasy land populated by evil leftists trying to steal everyone's money. You sacrificed and made it through on, what, $50k combined a few years ago? Great for you! Some folks can pull it off, some can't. I myself moved into the sticks so we could do the exact same thing, and luckily had the support system and breaks to pull it off. Try providing health insurance for two kids on that income, with today's insurance rates, in Newark. Good luck.

And seriously, talk to somebody about your fantasy life. It sounds scary. Here's the difference between you and us, my friend: You want a few to succeed and the rest to be punished. We want as many people as possible to succeed - and if some folks succeed richly, good for them! Do it fair, do it honest, and enjoy your success. But don't do it at others' expense.

Posted by: switzerblog | Aug 21, 2007 7:23:38 PM

Maximus, if you have a combined income of $100K, you’re not rich, you’re barely hanging onto middle-class these days – and you live in state where the cost of living is decidedly lower than it is in New Jersey.

I’m not a big fan of paying the costs associated with people who can’t afford to have children in the first place having them anyway, but I sure am not inclined to punish and abandon those children for the short-sightedness of their parents. I have this crazy notion that a healthy population costs us all less in the long run, and I think studies support that craziness. Healthy kids learn better, develop better, their parents miss less time from work because they are not home with sick children, medical costs go down because instead of dealing with chronic illness and the consequences of not getting health care, we’re spending money on immunizations and well-child check-ups that catch problems early, when the cost to treat them is less. The less money that has to be paid to providers for care by the government or insurance companies, the greater the reduction overall in premiums and out-of-pocket costs. Seems like a win-win to me.

Yes, it’s annoying as hell to realize that some of us did the responsible thing and made the sacrifices we needed to in order to provide for our kids and live within our means – as best we could. Would expanding the program encourage people to have kids they can’t afford? Doubtful – most people aren’t going to put that cart before that horse. But that leads to a nexus with something else the Bush administration is opposed to, and something the conservatives are moving on, and that is access to birth control. If you want people to be responsible about having or not having children, they need the means to prevent pregnancy, beyond “just say no.” It strikes me as counterintuitive to be opposed to abortion and opposed to making birth control accessible to teenagers, and then take a position that is opposed to initiatives that would expand health care to children.

I know it’s hard to look at the greater good to society when you’re eating yourself up over all those fancy new things you’re doing without, but people need to decide what is important – if conservatives are going to close off access to birth control, sex education, and abortion, they need to be going out of their way to provide support and care for those lives they deemed precious enough to save when they were no more than a gleam in someone’s eye, or a fertilized and non-implanted egg or a clump of cells.

Culture of life, anyone?

Posted by: Anne | Aug 22, 2007 8:26:56 AM

Max, years ago I had the misfortune of having to drive up the inner valley of CA in July. You could fry an egg on the asphalt it was so hot. I thought I was prepared for the ordeal but when my car blew a tire - it just plain melted - I knew trouble was coming at me. I began the process of dragging out the spare. I was more than capable of fixing it myself. Just then a car pulled over on the south bound side, a young man jumped out of the car, ran across 6 lanes of traffic to get to me. A State Patrol officer pulled up behind. We all changed the flat out in record time, together.

As I shook hands with these kind strangers and went to thank them, the young man said to me, "No thanks necessary, just do the same for someone else someday"

My long-winded point is simply that we're all in this together, that's what can and does make this Country and her people strong.

Posted by: mainsailset | Aug 22, 2007 8:33:55 AM

I appologize to anyone who takes offense but:

F**K Y*U B**H

Not Satisfied to have the your FAT CAT supporters assure the future of your kids; you are making every attempt to see that our kids don't have future.

Need I repeat the second line without the stars.

Jack Smith

Posted by: jack Smith | Aug 25, 2007 2:25:01 PM

Jack - I take no offense at all. Let 'er fly!

Posted by: shoephone | Aug 25, 2007 9:13:35 PM