« The Trouble with Moral Clarity | Main | Heh. »

August 21, 2007

Congrats to Bill Sherman and Steve Sundquist

... Bill appears headed for a general election campaign against Republican Dan Satterberg for King County Prosecutor.  I met Bill last year in his unsuccessful primary campaign in the 43rd LD, and was impressed by his smarts, commitment to public service and all around nice-guy-ness.

Steve Sundquist appears to be well ahead of all his opponents in the race for Seattle School Board position 6.  He face the second place finsher (likely Maria Ramirez) in the fall.  I've had the pleasure of working with Steve in my day job at an environmental nonprofit, and he's exactly the kind of brilliant, insightful, easy-going person that should be in public office.

It's nice to see the good guys win.

Posted by Jon Stahl on August 21, 2007 at 10:52 PM in Candidate Races | Permalink

Comments

All Steve Sundquist seems ready to offer is a glittering generality here and there about how every child deserves a quality education. Indeed, but what will you do about that? Maria has the track record to hit the ground running. I've seen her at candidate forums and endorsement meetings, and she knows education backwards and forwards. She can hit the ground running if elected; he'll just flounder around.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 21, 2007 11:35:26 PM

Tyler - Just curious: are you affiliated with Maria's campaign?

Posted by: shoephone | Aug 21, 2007 11:48:00 PM

I have contributed to Maria and offer my humble advice when I see her, but I'm not a staff member or a consultant or anything like that. I don't have any sort of financial stake in her campaign, if that's what you're getting at. I didn't even make up my mind about this race until several weeks after both Maria and Steve had filed.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 21, 2007 11:54:08 PM

Tyler - I appreciate the explanation. The only reason I asked is because the URL for your name is the URL for Maria's website.

Posted by: shoephone | Aug 22, 2007 8:27:52 AM

No problem. I use that URL because several people have asked me if Maria has a website, and I'm trying to let people know she does.

Posted by: Tyler | Aug 22, 2007 5:23:32 PM

Aside from "closing the achievement gap" -- a blither-phrase if I ever heard one -- do any of the School Board aspirants have *anything* on their plates?

I speak not only of the Position 6 candidates, and not only of the ones who made it through to the November ballot.

Posted by: Neal Traven | Aug 23, 2007 10:00:22 AM

I'm not affiliated with Maria's campaign but I have to say that my wife and other people who I respect who have worked closely with Maria in West Seattle are endorsing her. Have you looked closely at her, or is your personal relationship with Mr. Sunquist closed the book on this race for you? As a progressive, I would encourage you to take a look at Maria, who is representative of some folks in our community who haven't always been well represented on the Seattle School Board.

Posted by: howie in seattle | Aug 24, 2007 5:13:56 AM